Saturday, December 16, 2017

Star Wars: The Last Jedi, mini movie review. Non-spoilers


Rating: B (changed from A-)

To say I'm relieved is an understatement.

I liked The Force Awakens, but didn't love it.  I wanted to love it, saw the movie back to back in the theater, but it left me wanting as I constantly drew comparisons between Star Wars episode VII with IV.  This time around I was afraid The Last Jedi would be a mirror of sorts to Empire Strikes Back, my favorite of the Star Wars films.  Thankfully this wasn't the case, and I left the theater very satisfied and on a Star Wars high that I haven't felt since my childhood days.

The Last Jedi picks up where the last ended.  How much I'm not certain, as I totally spaced it during the opening crawl and didn't read it.  (Serious, guys, super embarrassed.  Totally zoned out!  Spaced it during a space movie.)

But all the characters, those who survived the last (Han's death is still upsetting.  Did they have to ruin Han and Leia's relationship?  One of the greatest love stories goes out with nothing but a whimper.)  But all the old characters are back with some new ones.  The new characters are a great addition to the story, and I like the new creatures as well.  Ice foxes, as seen in the trailer, are really cool.  Those Porgs that's been getting all the attention turned out to be pretty cute and not overdone.  Surprised by that, honestly.

Really, The Last Jedi has renewed my hope for the future of Star Wars.  Still upset Mara Jade isn't canon, glad Thrawn got re-canonized for the animated series, which I need to watch, but these new characters are growing on me.

The Empire Strikes Back is still my favorite. And because I keep thinking about Empire, and watched it the other day, that stupid "SEAGULLS! (Stop It Now)" song keeps going through my head.  Not joking.  On loop.  And this morning I woke up dreaming about "Bushes of Love."  Which, okay, spoiler, there's no strange sibling kissing in The Last Jedi.  Another relief.

So, seriously, go see The Last Jedi.  It's worth the wait.

MPAA: Rated PG-13 for sequences of sci-fi action and violence.

SEAGULLS . . . . !!!!!!  

P.S. The theater audience really got into it.  The in-theater Star Wars fans seemed to really enjoy the movie, and it was fun experiencing their reactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment