Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Pearls of Wisdom


Going through my file cabinet this last week I stumbled upon a folder full with cut out newspaper comics and scraps of paper with quotes scribbled on them.  I'd completely forgotten that I once had a cork board right behind my door where I pinned all these pearls of wisdom and scraps of humor.

It was all in the name of encouragement and motivation.

Henry David Thoreau: "You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment."  This was pinned on my board, but thanks to Google I just found the rest of the quote.  "Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land.  There is no other land; there is no other life but this."

Seeing this quote complete gives it so much more meaning.

The first part feels hallow now without the second.

"Hopes and desires often fail to materialize with many of us because we lack faith--the one great motivation force with makes all things possible." Howard W. Hunter

 "Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means you are strong enough to let go." ~ Author Unknown.  I've found great solace with this quote.

This next quote is great for college students

"I urge you to not take counsel of your fears.  I hope you will not say, 'I'm not smart enough to study chemical engineering; hence, I'll study something less strenuous.' 'I can't apply myself sufficiently well to study this difficult subject or in this comprehensive field; hence, I'll choose the easier way.' I plead with you to choose the hard way and tax your talents.  Our Heavenly Father will make you equal to your tasks.  If one should stumble, if one should take a course and get less than the 'A' grade desired, I hope such a one will not let it become a discouraging thing to him.  I hope that he will rise and try again." ~ Thomas S. Monson.

And with these quotes I had several cut out comics: Calvin and Hobbes, Non Sequitur, Get Fuzzy, and The Peanuts.

I also had a cut out of the Pass it On from Values.com with Kermit the Frog: "Eats Flies. Dates a Pig. Hollywood Star. Live Your Dreams, Pass it On."

Man, I feel like I've gotten so off track with my life.  I've been organizing my files to sort out projects and ideas, but I didn't realize how much finding my childhood, youth, teenage, young adult tidbits would effect me.  How much I've let some of my dreams and aspirations to slip.

Well, thinking of that guy from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, "I'm not dead!" And that knight, "Tis but a scratch!"  Two different parts of the movie.  I need to see that movie again!  And now my thoughts are drifting.  How you watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail with the Shakespearean subtitles on?  It's impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment