Monday, October 24, 2016

Trying Out a VR (Virtual Reality) Game For the First Time

(My Sister-In-Law Lindsay)

Last Friday I got to try out VR (virtual reality gaming) for the first time at VR Junkies in the mall.  It was all spontaneous. I went to lunch with my Mom, Dad, brother Robbie and Lindsay, and afterword Robbie encouraged my Dad to try a game out.

My Dad loved it so much he got my Mom and I to try it out as well.

I've honestly been on the fence about VR.  I don't know why, I mean, it's what I've been dreaming about since I was a kid addicted to Super Nintendo.  Man was I addicted.  And with growing up on Star Trek TNG I've always been intrigued by the Holodeck, a room the Star Trek crew would go to for recreational, fully immersive virtual reality.  As I've gotten older I've contemplated the downfalls of immersive entertainment.  I guess I'm afraid of getting trapped in the escape.  Too busy living a fake life to make a real life.  It's why, years ago, I stopped playing The Sims.

But out of curiosity I had to try out VR gaming, even if it was for only 6 or so minutes.  (It's about a dollar a minute.  Expensive.  As a kid I spent quarters at the arcade playing Pac-Man and TMNT.  Now it's dollars.  But the memory and thrill of the arcade is back.)

I played Space Pirates and it was so fun!  So, so much fun!  I was on the verge of making it to level 12 when my time was up.  (Though I did get a few extra minutes due to the store getting busy).  But really, now I'm a believer.

My Childhood dream of literally stepping into a game is now a reality!  

2 comments:

  1. That place is so fun, the zombie game was probably my favorite!

    ReplyDelete