Monday, June 6, 2016

Captain America: Civil War, mini movie review


Rating: 4.25 out of 5

Captain America has been at the forefront of comic book controversy, and as I have strong feelings about a "certain" reveal, which I'll briefly discuss later, this review isn't about that, though it's been on my mind.

Captain America is my favorite superhero.  It might be because I bleed red, white, and blue, but it is his moral courage I love.  His bravery to walk alone for something he strongly believes in.  He's the American ideal that many of us now crave, and that many of our ancestors fought, and in some cases (even in my own family tree) sacrificed their lives for.

When I was a kid I was a DC girl, loving Batman and Superman, going back and forth between them (well, that last movie they were in put a nail in the Superman Batman coffin ), but now . . . (I was going to say my heart belongs to Captain America, but it's not mentally healthy to give your heart to a fictional character), I really respect him.  He's a swell guy, and Captain America: Civil War does him justice.

Civil War feels like an off shoot Avengers movie, only the other Avengers play side characters between the war brewing between Steve and Tony.

There's an International treaty of sorts they must sign; every superhero must decide if they want to be held accountable to a UN like group, dictating what battles they may or may not fight, or they must go into retirement.  There's no alternative.  (And this is where I get frustrated), there are many in the World who fear the Avengers because of how many civilians  die in each battle.  These "vigilantes" cause more harm then good. (So the alternative is to let villains destroy more property, kill more people, and perhaps entrap the entire human race into slaves (a la Loki)?  Yeah, that makes sense.  It's sad when some people die, but isn't a few thousand better than millions or billions?  Seriously.  The root of the problem is the villains.  They destroy.  And good luck getting them to sign an agreement.  Each time the boardroom scene in this movie comes up, and the superheroes are crying tears of regret over all the people they've killed, my Mom and I look at each other and roll our eyes.  Look at all the good that's been done, lives saved, the alien race that didn't go through the space portal in the Avengers movie.  Seriously, it's not rocket science.  Drives me crazy.  I don't mean to be cavalier, lives and civilians need to be protected, always, but the fact that the villains weren't mentioned and completely got a pass is not cool. All the deaths were purely the falt of the heroes. Off my soap box.)

And it is this peace treaty of sorts--a peace treaty by those saving peace--that divides Captain America and Iron Man, plus all the other heroes spread about.

Oh, and Captain America's dear friend Bucky is running around possibly causing mayhem.  Or is he?  Steve Rogers must find out.

Overall I love Captain America Civil War, despite my grievances over logic.  There's a lot of jumping around from scene to scene, but thankfully the screen flashes whatever city they are in to help maintain some flow, unlike a certain Batman vs. Superman that jumps around and feels like a stack of moving Polaroids.

There are two new superheros introduced in this movie: One we've seen many times and another getting his first major screen debut.  For a movie jammed full of superheroes, these two characters were introduced well, and I'm glad to see them in the MCU.

So far I've seen this movie twice, and can easily see it many more times.  And all my friends who have seen it love this movie.

I'm relieved Civil War treated Captain America with respect.

MPAA: Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action.

(Now on to the comic book plot point I hinted at . . . stop reading now if you don't want the plot spoiled.  Honestly I don't follow the comic plots, besides my binges reading wikipedia, which I recommend because comic synopses are amusing.  But in this latest serial it's been revealed that Captain America is with Hydra, and that he's been with them all this time.  At first I was bewildered and confused, because if this is the case I don't buy it, never will.  But then I read some speculation tied to some comic plot points not mentioned in many articles bashing Marvel Comics decision to make Captain America psycho.  (case in point, two Jewish men created Captain America, so it is a slap across both the original creators and America's faces to make Steve Rogers a Nazi.)  Anyway, there's a side plot where Red Skull now has Professor Xavier's brain, and may be manipulating Steve Rogers memories.  Also, another plot point where Steve become old and then young again by Kobik, and bratty girl made up of Cosmic Cubes, using this power, which has essence of evil or something.  Anywho, comic stuff.  Gotta love it.  I'm not buying the comics, I wouldn't have anyway, but there might be a really good reason why Steve Rogers went all turn coat on us.)

2 comments:

  1. I'm unfamiliar with the comics, but I liked this movie quite a bit.

    Nice review.

    - Zach (http://fadetozach.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete