Monday, November 16, 2015

Why You Should Test Your Grandparents for Ancestry DNA, and other Ancestry DNA Discoveries


 My Maternal Grandmother's DNA Results

 A little over a month ago I received my maternal Grandmother's Ancestry DNA results. It was bright and colorful, showing more regions then I ever imagined having done genealogy work on our family tree.  I imaged she would be heavily Great Britain and Irish, instead the breakdown was:

Europe: 98%

Great Britain: 32% (3%-61%)
Scandinavia: 26% (5%-47%)
Iberian Peninsula: 14% (2%-25%)
Ireland: 11% (0%-27%)
Europe West: 5% (0%-21%)
TRACE REGIONS: 10%
Italy/Greece: 6% (0%-14%)
Europe East: 4% (0%-10%)

West Asia: 2%

Caucuses: 2% (0%-4%)

(Note: What are the percentage brackets?  Why not a set percentage to represent each region?  From Ancestry.com: When we calculate your estimate for each ethnicity region, we run forty separate analyses. Each of the forty analyses gives another estimate of your ethnicity, and each one is done with randomly selected portions of your DNA. Why forty? Ethnicity estimation can be variable from comparison to comparison — different combinations of DNA can give us different information, so doing multiple analyses can give us a more accurate estimate, as well as the likely range.)

(Note: Trace regions are areas where traces are found in the DNA, but the evidence is so small it could be there by chance.)

(Note:  I wasn't familiar about the Caucasus, but it's actually where the term "Caucasian" comes from.  The Caucasus DNA regions are located primarily in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Turkey. It can also include Bulgaria, Jordan, Greece, Italy, Kuwait, Palestine, Romania, Turkmenistan.)     


  I was pretty excited about my Grandmothers results.  So much variety.  Pretty much all of Europe covered.  Regions I haven't found in my paper trail search on my family tree.  I was particularly shocked by the Iberian Peninsula (Spain, Portugal, also found in France, Morocco, Algeria, Italy).

What variety would I find in my DNA?  With roots going back to the 1600's and 1700's in U.S. history, I've got to have a slew genetic regions, right?

But here's the interesting thing about DNA.  We only get what we inherit.  1/2 from my Mom, 1/2 from my Dad, 1/4 from my Grandparents, 1/8 from my Great-Grandparents, 1/16 from my Great-Great-Grandparents, etc.  How much genetic information can be lost in all those divisions?

 My Maternal Grandfather's DNA Results


 When I first administered my Grandfather's DNA test, which involved having him spit into a tube, the first test failed, so I didn't get his results when my Grandmother's results came in.  Thankfully Ancestry DNA sent me another test.

His results came last week, along my Mom and my results.

Here's what his shows.

Europe: 100%

Ireland: 75% (59%-88%)
Great Britain: 20% (5%-36%)
TRACE REGIONS:
Scandinavia: 2% (0%-11%)
Finland/Northwest Russia: 2% (0%-5%)
Iberian Peninsula: <1% (0%-3%)

I wasn't at all surprised by his results, since his lines strongly go back to Ireland via Hallisey, Mahoney, O'Niel, etc.

Note, though, Scotland and Wales doesn't show up as a separate region.  Both can equally show up under Ireland and Great Britain, due to trade, war, lack of mountains, easy travel, etc.  I know my Grandfather has Scottish in him, and it looks like it's showing up under the Great Britain region.


My Mom's DNA Results


 I was really curious to see what my Mom inherited, since she gets 1/2 from my Grandparents, and whatever she gets and doesn't get, I have a 50% of getting or not getting.  What she doesn't inherit I have no chance of receiving, forever lost through whatever posterity I may have.

Her results were interesting.

Europe: 100%

Great Britain: 64% (41%-84%)
Ireland: 25% (8%-42%)
Scandinavia: 5% (0%-16%)
TRACE REGIONS
Iberian Peninsula: 4% (0%-11%)
Europe East: <1% (0%-5%)
Finland/Northwest Russia: <1% (0%-2%)
Italy/Greece: <1% (0%-3%)

 My Mom inherited none of my Grandmother's Europe West region, which was interesting, plus she didn't inherit any of the Caucasus.  She also received a small amount of the Iberian Peninsula, so I still have some chance, right?  Though my Mom is convinced the Iberian Peninsula percent proves we have French ancestry.  I think it would be cool having ancestry going back to Spain and Portugal as well.


 My DNA Results


 There were two things I knew about myself.  One being that I have a strong German linage thanks to my Stufflebeam heritage, and also through my Paternal Grandmother; Second, I have a strong Scottish/Irish/English/and some Welsh from my Mom's side, so I was going to be equal parts U.K. and Germany.

That's not what happened!!!!!

Europe: 98%

Great Britain: 70% (47%-91%)
Ireland: 23% (5%-41%)
TRACE REGIONS
Scandinavia: 4% (0%-14%)
Europe West: <1% (0%-7%)

Asia: <1%
TRACE REGION
South Asia: <1% (0%-2%)
(India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, also found in Myanmar (Burma))

West Asia: <1%
TRACE REGION
Caucasus: <1% (0%-4%)

I have pretty much no German in me!!!!

I was floored.

I was also shocked by how much UK/Irish I have in me.


 Check it out, I have more Great Britain in me then the typical U.K. native!


 I have an average of 70% Great Britain, while the typical native only averages 60%.  With all my deep American heritage how is that possible?  It's all those crazy 1/2 divisions from parent to child.

Iberian Peninsula didn't come up once in my DNA, though it was solid in my Grandmothers.  Essentially this means the Peninsula is every bit apart of my linage, I just didn't inherit any of it, but it's still apart of my identity.

Also, my Mom didn't inherit any of my Grandmothers Caucasus region, which means the trace region I have popping up in my DNA came from my Dad.  I wish he was interested in doing the test. Also, the Trace amount of South Asia come from his side as well, which is fascinating.


Also note, just because 70% of my DNA pops up as Great Britain, I can still have French and German roots in there as well.  The Great Britain DNA region is found primarily in England, Scotland, Wales, but it's also found in Ireland, France, Germany, Denmark, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Italy.)

The DNA results are interesting.  I've been linked to a lot of 4th cousins, so I have more work to do.

Another interesting feature of Ancestry DNA is a feature called DNA circles, which is still in BETA.


Hugh Patrick was one of my Hypothetical Ancestors, where I took his information from the research of others, not knowing for sure if that line had correct information.  There's a crazy amount of sloppy genealogy out there, in which I'm guilty of.
 
I was hoping of being connected to Hugh, because of his father, who knew our first President George Washington personally, knowing him long before the Revolutionary war, having served as one of his rangers during the French and Indian War.  James was also a Patriot, serving throughout the Revolution.
 
Thing is, it's hard to prove linage to James through a paper trail, because of the nature of records back then.  From The Patricks of Eastern Kentucky: "The children listed for James Patrick are only guesses. It is probable they are James's children but it has not been proven. It is also probable James had other children and another marriages, but it has not been proven."


 It's not clearly known who James children were, but there are guesses, and I have DNA links from his son Hugh, if he is his son.


James Patrick also has a possible daughter in Mary Ann "Polly" Patrick, and though she isn't on my family tree, I have DNA links to both her and her husband through their descendants.  They had more then one child, and I'm having cousin ties to a few of them, I just don't know where they belong on my tree.

There's still a lot more to discover, and this is really the beginning.  It's such a puzzle!

No comments:

Post a Comment