Monday, November 9, 2015

The Contrasting Toilets of Japan


 When I think about Japan and Toilets, visions of highly advanced, technical toilets spring to mind.  At least that's the image pop culture has presented me, and I was curious what I would find.

For the most part I was scared of the buttons and didn't press them!  I did press the button with the musical note on it, out of curiosity, and I didn't get a song.  Instead a fake flushing sound started, which I guess is suppose to cover up sounds that would otherwise be embarrassing.  I definitely wasn't going to press the button with the bidet function.


 This toilet cleanser, found in a McDonald's, was handy.


But in contrast to the technically advanced toilets there were these, which I'm not quite sure what they're called.  Are these squatting toilets?  Oh my goodness.  I found these in a lot of places.  Tourist spots, train stations, and what not.  And I didn't use any of them.  Turns out handicap stalls have normal toilets, so I used that.

In terms of the ratio between Western toilets vs. hole in the ground toilets, I'm not sure.  I didn't feel much for investigating.  High tourist spots and McDonald's all have sitting toilets.  That I know for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment