Monday, June 22, 2015

In Which I Fail At Putting Together a Metal Earth NCC-1701 Star Trek Enterprise


 Last March when my Dad and I were at Party Works getting St. Patrick day celebrations, we were momentarily distracted by the Metal Earth display.  I've seen them before.  One time at Hallmark I contemplated buying a Star Wars X-Wing, but thought against it when I pondered over my available spending money.

At Party Works my Dad spontaneously bought the NCC-1701 Enterprise from the original Star Trek series.  When we got home I asked him if he was going to put it together, he then handed it to me and said, "You are."

This kit has been sitting in my dresser drawer this whole time.

For Fathers Day I thought I'd finally put it together.


 Suddenly feeling super overwhelmed by the instructions.


 It's difficult removing the pieces from the metal sheet without bending it; I did a pretty decent job with the pieces I did remove.


 Suddenly realizing, after 40 minutes of trial, that I put the end on upside down and inside out.


 Finally got this piece done without breaking anything.


 Wondering if they were asking me to put together a Klingon Bird of Prey.


 And thus the inevitable happened: a piece snapped.

I tried to fix it with tape.


 And then it completely broke off.


 Penning my frustrations on paper.

The problem is that if you move a metal piece back and forth, it wears down and brakes.  Being asked to shape the ships body before attaching some pieces made it difficult to secure those pieces without bending the body.

I was going to trudge through, regardless.


 The final step that put a nail in the coffin.

Curling this little piece while it was attached to all that weight.


 It broke off . . . 

And I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, so I laughed.

I showed my Dad the results of my effort, and he was grateful I tried.


Thank goodness I had a Star Wars theme for the rest of my gift, because Star Trek totally didn't work out.

(P.S. This bag makes me giggle :0)

2 comments: