Monday, August 13, 2012

Treasures in Old Books


Everyone who knows me knows how much I love books, but one thing people may not know is how much I love collecting antique books.  I don't have a large collection, only a happy little shelf.  One of the things that I love to find in these books are notes, or writtings, names written on the first page, etc.  Anything that gives these old pages a history and character.  Proof that someone loved it before I did.

Cambria California has a book/art gallery called The Bookery.  I've bought a few volumes from them, and quite a few years ago I found this 1904 edition of The Masquerader.  When I was flipping through the pages I found this little note:

"Mary:
Take my advice and go back to Ken.  You are losing
the best thing in life.  You can't tarry too long and get away with it."
Ollie"

I want to know the story behind this letter!  Who are these people?  What happened?  Did Mary take his advice?  When was this written?  Questions I doubt I will ever find the answer to.

The paper seems kinda modern, but there is a bit of yellowing, and Ollie is an old-fashioned name.  How many people do you know use the word "tarry" in casual conversation?  But this is a fun little mystery I've found, and I can't help but imagine what may have come to pass.

Sarah 

2 comments:

  1. Wowzers! You found something super awesome! Maybe Ollie will find your blog, and reveal the mystery someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love that! :0) Hopefully good news not bad.

      Delete