Wednesday, August 29, 2012

If I Had a Mansion . . .


I don't think I'm the only person who, as a kid, would imagine all the crazy things they would do if they had a huge house.  It's fun dreaming in the ridicules.  Some of my crazy ideas include a room dedicated entirely to Ferrets (because they're cute and mischievous, though smelly, so they get their own room complete with a large array of see through tunnels), a room dedicated to a small city (a la tiny houses and train sets), and a gigantic music/library.  Ridicules, though I think every idea is genius.     


Last week my family and I wondered into the Clark Planetarium.  I've been there many times, but this time I was entranced by the Kinetic machines they have running.  These machines are like watching balls ride roller coasters.  I told my brother "Wouldn't it be cool to have one of these at home?"  In which he agreed.  Then, a few minutes later, my Dad joined us, equally entranced, and said "Wouldn't it be cool to have one of these?"  Yeah, totally.  The machine they had on the ceiling was amazing.  It's like watching the solar system in motion, which, with this being a planetarium, is probably the point.       


I first became aware of Kinetic machines thanks to an exhibit at BYU Provo back in 2003 called Poetic Kinetics.  It was put together with an away of contraptions built by father and son.  The son, Andrew Smith, has on his website several videos of his machines to view, and there a lot of fun to watch.  You can find it at www.andrewsmithart.com under the tab "rolling ball."  He has some other really fun stuff to watch.  Now to learn welding . . .

Sarah     

No comments:

Post a Comment